Saturday, August 13, 2011

More than a garnish...

One of the great aspects about this whole CSA thing is that I’m getting the opportunity to cook veggies that I have never even considered dealing with.  When have I ever bought red cabbage (which I have tended to view as more of a garnish for a restaurant salad bar than anything substantially edible!)?  Boy, was I wrong.  Upon consultation with the Joy of Cooking, I ended up making “braised red cabbage.”  The shredded cabbage was perfectly tender but succulent at the same time, and I wanted the delicate, sweet-sour flavor to never end.  And look at the gorgeous hue!  We ate this as a side with some sauteed potatos and onions (both also from the CSA bounty), and marinated, lightly seared tofu. 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

pink food is always fun. :)