Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mother's Day Sundays

Going along the themes of culture and tradition, I’ve always thought there was something cool about the way some Italian-Americans talk about Sunday “gravy”.  Hmm, wouldn’t it be fun to start such a tradition and perfect a homemade marinara?  But, wait, we’re not Italian and my husband doesn’t even like tomato-based sauces.  So why not begin a tradition of our own that’s more relevant to who we actually are? 
Sunday, May 6th, seemed like a fitting day to begin a tradition of Sunday Chinese dinners.  Given the date, I saw this meal as a tribute to my mother who recently spent four weeks living with and taking care of us after Baby #2 arrived.
On the menu, clockwise from top left, was tofu with Hoisin sauce (so yummy with snap peas, carrots, and cashews, from the cookbook “Quick Vegetarian Pleasures”), and two dishes that I learned from my mother--faux chicken and celery (one of my husband’s all-time favorites), and a stir-fry with lotus roots, carrots, asparagus, and various types of mushrooms. 
Love the idea of cooking Chinese at least once a week.  I just need to come up with a creative name for this new weekly event!       

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I love it. I'm copying.

Wendy said...

yo mama just made something like that lotus root dish last night...